Buying or renovating your home will likely be the largest purchase you ever make. Going through the process of designing your home, selecting all the fittings and fixtures and then watching it start to rise out of the ground should be an exciting time in anyone’s life. Select the right builder and it will be a pleasurable experience, choose the wrong builder and it can be a heartbreaking and often costly lesson. All too often purchasers enter into a building contract without checking out their builders’ credentials.
When you are renovating a home, your builder will be there with you right throughout the project. To ensure that you can work together successfully, it’s important to find out as much information as you can before entering into any business relationship. The following is a list of just a few key questions that can help you find a builder with the right fit.
- Are they licensed and insured to build in Queensland and do they have the skills and experience to undertake the project?
- How many properties do they currently have under construction?
- Do they have any past or current building disputes lodged with the Q.B.C.C?
- Once the job starts, how will they communicate with you and how often?
- Does the builder have electronic job software to manage information and keep you informed?
- Has everything been specified in the contract and how?
- How long is the building maintenance period?
If you cannot get answers to these questions and cannot clearly understand what is in the building contract (or what is not!) then you need to keep looking. A good builder will be able to articulate all of this information and show you where it is specified in your contract.